Sunday, November 4, 2012

clothed in majesty

Rounds brought MUCH happiness this morning! Our doctor started by saying, "He's just amazing me! He has made such tremendous strides in the past week!" WHAT A LOVELY THING TO HEAR!

Coopie is now up to 24ml, his full feedings! The bump up in feedings has brought the news of no longer needing his TPN, or intravenous nutrition therefore our boy just had his PICC line removed! He is officially IV free and the only wires and tubes attached at for the monitor and feedings. WHAT AN AMAZING FEELING! If all goes well with his feedings and his blood sugars look good we're hoping to have him moved to a crib soon and also begin nuzzling and working toward nursing! Such wonderful news in our world! The only set backs are his continued high bilirubin numbers, which should be declining with the removal of his TPN. Also, since Coop has been off of caffeine and his CPAP his heart rate has been dropping below 60 from time to time. This drop is referred to as "spells" in the NICU world, but they are only considered spells and recorded if they last 10 seconds or longer and our boy has yet to go that long. I can never tell because anytime his heart rate drops feels like an eternity to me but his nurses have assured me that he's doing wonderfully and is "perfectly perfect in every way." Goodness I'm thankful for these ladies!

Next up on the agenda for the day is a long awaited bath (especially for his right foot which has been wrapped up since his second day here) and then CLOTHES! We get to dress our boy! I know it may sound silly but just that little insignificant milestone brings such joy. He feels like a real baby and I love every bit of it! Also...his cord fell off today...another real baby moment. My heart is very happy today for my sweet son. (I'll post pictures of our big boy dressed a bit later)




My heart is heavy for our daughter though. Our sweet Ellie girl has been battling an ear infection for a few days and now has developed a nasty little rash along with it. After 3 visits to the doctor we found out she has hand, foot, and mouth and some nasty little blisters on her tongue. She's been so fussy, sleepless, and just plan difficult this past few weeks and now we know why! Not only has her world been turned on it's side with the early addition of her little brother, but the poor thing has been sick as well! She is confined to the house for the time being and while she's sick we're limited to only touching Coop with gloves and no holding. It's not very fun to miss the skin to skin time with our guy but it's a small price to pay to keep him from getting sick. Ellie being cranky and sick leaves me feeling torn between my kiddos once again. I hate leaving her when she's struggling but I know Cooper needs me as well. I'm working on spending as much time with my girl while she's awake as possible then heading to Coop while she's in bed. So far so good. Prayers for her quick recovery are appreciated. Once our Ellie bug is all healed up she gets her first peek at her new baby brother. We've been given the ok to bring him to the window for her to check out! I just can't wait for that moment!

What beauty today has brought. Thankful for the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment