Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Not as controversial as I had thought...

After much debate within myself I have decided to open up a tiny bit about some things that have been plaguing me lately. I had mentioned in a previous post that the thought of the flu shot being linked to Coop's early arrival and illness/adverse symptoms had been brought to my attention. After as much reading as my sleepy eyes would allow, advice and guidance from medical professionals, and eye opening discussions with experts on the subject, I have come to some very scary, very real conclusions. I won't share everything because I'm not sure where this unraveling thread will lead us but I did want to share a few things.

I began this process thinking I was walking into something extremely controversial and I'd never get straight answers. WRONG! It took a total of 5 minutes maximum to get a direct answer from the horse's mouth. Let me explain...
I walked into my OB's office and asked for the receptionist to write down the exact name and dose of the flu vaccine I received. She went to the back for a moment and, upon her return, handed me a piece of paper with the words "Fluvirin, single dose" written on it. I then walked to my car and right there from my phone goggled "Fluvirin 2012 package insert." I quickly found the FDA sight that led me directly to the insert that I should have been handed in the first place upon receiving my flu shot. Despite that fact, I now had the information. That's where I found this.


8 USE IN SPECIFIC POPULATIONS
8.1 Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with FLUVIRIN®. It is also not known whether FLUVIRIN® can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. FLUVIRIN® should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.


I was shocked and appalled to say the least. Go back and read my first blog post about this to see exactly what my OB said in response to my question, "What are the possible side effects to my baby if I get the flu shot?"...How dare she! How dare anyone not give the facts! I may never know if this is what happened to my sweet boy. I may never know if he almost lost his life because of a shot. But I do know this. I was NOT informed enough to make a proper decision. I was having a delightful, healthy, and perfectly normal pregnancy and nothing changed except this one vaccine. Maybe it was something else but every blood test that Cooper and I have had, every path the doctors have headed down has lead to a dead end. No signs of infection and no signs pointing to ANYTHING diagnostic of what happened. Yet the flu shot sticks out like a sore thumb.

I don't know what any of this means to us just yet but I decided to post this because I have many dear and lovely friends that are pregnant right now or planning to become pregnant soon. I'm not saying getting a vaccine is right or wrong I'm simply saying check the facts and don't allow ANYONE to bully you. Just because he/she has Dr. before his/her name does NOT mean they know everything or that they can 100% be trusted. I'm also not saying that doctors are out to hurt you. I fully believe that was NOT my OB's intention and I'm extremely grateful for her and the practice as a whole, I just believe that none of us are informed. It's time to change that!   

Here is a link to the Fluvirin insert and also another site that I found to be extremely helpful in researching this subject.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123694.pdf

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases.aspx

I also want to say a huge thank you to that small question, "Did you get a flu shot?"...God is working through you and your heart for others and their health! Forever grateful!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment